[openstack-dev] [nova] BUG? nova-compute should delete unused instance files on boot

Chris Friesen chris.friesen at windriver.com
Mon Oct 7 18:28:40 UTC 2013

I've been doing a lot of instance creation/deletion/evacuate and I've
noticed that if I

1)create an instance
2) power off the compute node it was running on
3) delete the instance
4) boot up the compute node

then the instance rootfs stays around in /var/lib/nova/instances/.
Eventually this could add up to significant amounts of space.

Is this expected behaviour?  (This is on grizzly, so maybe havana is
different.)  If not, should I file a bug for it?

I think it would make sense for the compute node to come up, query all
the instances in /var/lib/nova/instances/, and delete the ones for
instances that aren't in the database.

Chris