[openstack-dev] TC Candidacy

Julien Danjou julien at danjou.info
Mon Oct 7 09:18:09 UTC 2013

Hi there,

I'd like to announce my candidacy for the TC.

About me
--------
I've been working on OpenStack for 2 years now. I'm one of the early
contributors to the Ceilometer project, and worked towards its
incubation and integration. Now, I am the PTL for Ceilometer since the
Havana cycle.

Nowadays I work on various area of OpenStack, while still focusing on
Ceilometer. I've been also nominated and became a core contributor for
Oslo recently.

Outside OpenStack, I've been a FOSS contributor for the last 15 years in
various other projects (Debian, Freedesktop, Emacs…). I like to think
that I know a lot about the dynamics that make FOSS working and how to
build and organize successful open source projects.

Platform
--------
I've been member of the TC for last 6 months. I've seen the enthusiasm
that drives people towards OpenStack, and the amount of incubation
proposal for projects that we received. Dealing with these requests has
been a major feature of the TC these last months, and I expect it to
continue this way. Especially because the TC chose to incubate a few
projects already, and judging if they are ready to go out of incubation
will be its duty. I hope that my experience could help in this regard.

On this issue, I've been really open minded and I think OpenStack should
generally welcome the incubation of projects, while setting right
correct criteria for projects to become integrated. Such standards
should be integration with other projects, reusability of work done, or
reduction of overlaps.

I don't envision OpenStack as a IaaS-only platform, but as an ecosystem
of coherent projects plugged together, providing services and solutions
to end users.

More generally, as a TC member I will continue to work to make OpenStack
the success it is and to be sure it continues to grow, connect with
friendly projects, and remain a welcoming technical community.

Cheers,
--
Julien Danjou
# Free Software hacker # independent consultant