[openstack-dev] TC candidacy

Steven Dake sdake at redhat.com
Fri Oct 4 19:05:07 UTC 2013

I would like to propose my candidacy for the OpenStack Technical Committee.

I originated and led the Heat project with a small team of core
developers from Red Hat in early 2012.  I am also a core member of the
Heat team and have contributed to Heat's progress through incubation and
integration status.  My original vision for the leadership of the Heat
project was based upon the book "The Starfish and The Spider" [1] in
which decentralized organizations such as OpenStack harness natural
consequences of emergent [2] systems.

I have a strong first-hand grasp of organizing small groups into
producing great results and plan to act as a facilitator to projects
that are seeking incubation or have become incubated and need a bit
further help making their way into Integrated status in OpenStack. My
main objective serving in the Technical Committee is to help drive the
growth of OpenStack through new project integration and growth.  I am
also a firm believer in transparency and would strive to help the
community in general understand the consensus and decisions of the
Technical Committee.

I have a strong background in this area - having originated the open
source projects Corosync [3] which serves as the underpinnings of high
availability in Linux and other platforms as well as Heat which is near
and dear to all of us working in OpenStack.  Given the success of both
these projects which require a high degree of transparency and
decentralized leadership, I believe I am a good match for serving the
OpenStack community via the Technical Committee.

I would appreciate your vote for growing new OpenStack projects into
full integrated status and improved TC transparency by serving the
OpenStack community in the Technical Committee.

Kind Regards,
-steve

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Starfish_and_the_Spider
[2] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emergence