[openstack-dev] Experiences of using Neutron in large scale

Mike Wilson geekinutah at gmail.com
Wed Oct 2 22:32:45 UTC 2013

Kumar,

How large of a deployment are you considering it for? We've run Neutron in
a fairly large environment (10k+ nodes) for a year now and have learned
some interesting lessons. We use a modified Openvswitch plugin and as such
have no experience with the Nicira plugin. I think the largest single
problem that we have as it pertains to scalability are the race conditions
in neutron-server. Allocating IPs, network, ports etc tend to have some
racey behaviors. I feel like many of these issues are being addressed by
neutron developers, but also Neutron is very viable for large-scale
production today. For instance most of the race conditions that I mention
can be averted if you aren't writing to the database concurrently. You
could designate ONE neutron-server as the "write" server and the rest as
"read", it's a little tricky to do because you have to have a router in
front of them all or reroute requests, but the API set is not very large so
a very doable task. That being said, in our environment we use a single
neutron-server with another standing by as backup. It's not as performant
as we'd like it to be, but it hasn't stopped us from growing so far.

-Mike Wilson

P.S. There is a presentation from the Portland summit that myself and Jun
Park did. In it we talk about some of the issues around scale although
neutron (quantum at the time) is a smaller part of the talk. :
http://www.openstack.org/summit/portland-2013/session-videos/presentation/using-openstack-in-a-traditional-hosting-environment
.