[openstack-dev] [nova] why are we backporting low priority v3 api fixes to v2?

Christopher Yeoh cbkyeoh at gmail.com
Sat Nov 30 22:25:04 UTC 2013

On Sun, Dec 1, 2013 at 8:02 AM, Matt Riedemann
<mriedem at linux.vnet.ibm.com>wrote:

> I've seen a few bugs/reviews like this [1] lately which are essentially
> backporting fixes from the nova openstack v3 API to the v2 API. While this
> is goodness for the v2 API, I'm not sure why we're spending time on low
> priority bug fixes like this for the v2 API when v3 is the future.
> Shouldn't only high impact / high probability fixes get backported to the
> nova v2 API now?  I think most people are still using v2 so they are
> probably happy to get the fixes, but it kind of seems to prolong the
> inevitable.
>
> Am I missing something?

The V2 API is going to be with us for quite a while even if the as planned
V3 API becomes official with
the icehouse release. At the moment the V2 API is still even open for new
features - this will probably
change at the end of I-2.

I agree those bugs are quite low priority fixes and the V3 work is a lot
more important, but I don't think we should blocking
them yet. We should perhaps reconsider the acceptance of very low priority
fixes like you reference towards or at the end of
Icehouse.

Chris