[openstack-dev] [Hacking] License headers in empty files

Sean Dague sean at dague.net
Thu Nov 28 18:08:41 UTC 2013

On 11/28/2013 01:01 PM, Julien Danjou wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 28 2013, Roman Prykhodchenko wrote:
>
>> The point of this email is _not_ to blame someone or to push my personal
>> opinion to the folks who gave me the feedback. What I'm trying to do is to
>> to bring more clarity to our hacking rules because, as I see, currently
>> different folks interpret them differently.
>
> Anyway, having headers in empty file sounds just dumb.
>
> Maybe a mistake that has been transformed into a rule?

When we wrote the hacking rule for the license check basically we didn't
want to overreach and cause a ton of work on projects to purge this. So
basically any file < 10 lines, we don't enforce the Apache license
header check. This allows __init__.py files to be either empty (which is
what they should be), or have the header. It just doesn't check for
trivially small files.

I'm totally in favor of going further and saying "empty files shouldn't
have license headers, because their content of emptiness isn't
copyrightable" [1]. That's just not how it's written today.

	-Sean

1. Philip Glass might disagree -
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/4%E2%80%B233%E2%80%B3

--