[openstack-dev] [TripleO] Summit session wrapup

Jiří Stránský jistr at redhat.com
Thu Nov 28 11:45:06 UTC 2013

Hi all,

just a few thoughts (subjective opinions) regarding the whole debate:

* I think that having a manually picking images for machines approach
would make TripleO more usable in the beginning. I think it will take a
good deal of time to get our smart solution working with the admin
rather than against him [1], and a possibility of manual override is a
good safety catch.

E.g. one question that i wonder about - how would our smart flavor-based
approach solve this situation: I have homogenous nodes on which i want
to deploy Cinder and Swift. Half of those nodes has better connectivity
to the internet than the other half. I want Swift on the ones with
better internet connectivity. How will i ensure such deployment with
flavor-based approach? Could we use e.g. host aggregates defined on the
undercloud for this? I think it will take time before our smart solution
can understand such and similar conditions.

* On the other hand, i think relying on Nova to pick hosts feels more
TripleO-spirited solution to me. It means using OpenStack to deploy
OpenStack.

So i can't really lean towards one solution or the other. Maybe it's
most important to make *something*, gather some feedback, and tweak what
needs tweaking.

Cheers

Jirka

[1] http://i.technet.microsoft.com/dynimg/IC284957.jpg