[openstack-dev] FreeBSD hypervisor (bhyve) driver

Sean Dague sean at dague.net
Wed Nov 27 22:29:35 UTC 2013

On 11/27/2013 01:32 PM, Rafał Jaworowski wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 25, 2013 at 3:50 PM, Daniel P. Berrange <berrange at redhat.com> wrote:

>>> That's perfectly fine if you want to go that route as a first step.
>>> However, that doesn't mean it's appropriate for merging into Nova.
>>> Unless there are strong technical justifications for why this approach
>>> should be taken, I would probably turn down this driver until you were
>>> able to go the libvirt route.
>>
>> The idea of a FreeBSD bhyve driver for libvirt has been mentioned
>> a few times. We've already got a FreeBSD port of libvirt being
>> actively maintained to support QEMU (and possibly Xen, not 100% sure
>> on that one), and we'd be more than happy to see further contributions
>> such as a bhyve driver.
>
> As mentioned, in general we like the idea of libvirt bhyve driver, but
> sometimes it may not fit the bill (licensing, additional external
> dependency to keep track of) and hence we consider the native option.
>
>> I am of course biased, as libvirt project maintainer, but I do agree
>> that supporting bhyve via libvirt would make sense, since it opens up
>> opportunities beyond just OpenStack. There are a bunch of applications
>> built on libvirt that could be used to manage bhyve, and a fair few
>> applications which have plugins using libvirt
>
> Could you perhaps give some pointers on the libvirt development
> process, how to contribute changes and so on?
>
> Another quick question: for cases like this, how does Nova manage
> syncing with the required libvirt codebase when a new hypervisor
> driver is added or for similar major updates happen?
>
>> Taking on maint work for a new OpenStack driver is a non-trivial amount
>> of work in itself. If the burden for OpenStack maintainers can be reduced
>> by, pushing work out to / relying on support from, libvirt, that makes
>> sense from OpenStack/Nova's POV.
>
> The maintenance aspect and testing coverage are valid points, on the
> other hand future changes would have to go a longer way for us: first
> upstream to libvirt, then downstream to the FreeBSD ports collection
> (+ perhaps some OpenStack code bits as well), which makes the process
> more complicated.

I think you also need to weigh that against the CI requirements for
landing a driver in tree for nova, which is probably a dedicated rack of
hardware running the zuul infrastructure reporting back success / fail
results on every proposed nova patch. Made more complicated if your
hypervisor doesn't nest (I have no idea if this one does).

Honestly... go the libvirt route, it's a lot simpler.

	-Sean

--
Sean Dague
http://dague.net