[openstack-dev] [Oslo] Improving oslo-incubator update.py

Flavio Percoco flavio at redhat.com
Wed Nov 27 10:50:57 UTC 2013

On 26/11/13 22:54 +0000, Mark McLoughlin wrote:
>On Fri, 2013-11-22 at 12:39 -0500, Doug Hellmann wrote:
>> On Fri, Nov 22, 2013 at 4:11 AM, Flavio Percoco <flavio at redhat.com> wrote:
>> >    1) Store the commit sha from which the module was copied from.
>> >    Every project using oslo, currently keeps the list of modules it
>> >    is using in `openstack-modules.conf` in a `module` parameter. We
>> >    could store, along with the module name, the sha of the commit it
>> >    was last synced from:
>> >
>> >        module=log,commit
>> >
>> >        or
>> >
>> >        module=log
>> >        log=commit
>> >

>> The second form will be easier to manage. Humans edit the module field and
>> the script will edit the others.
>
>How about adding it as a comment at the end of the python files
>themselves and leaving openstack-common.conf for human editing?

I think having the commit sha will give us a starting point from which
we could start updating that module from. It will mostly help with
getting a diff for that module and the short commit messages where it
was modified.

Here's a pseudo-buggy-algorithm for the update process:

    (1) Get current sha for $module
    (2) Get list of new commits for $module
    (3) for each commit of $module:
        (3.1) for each modified_module in $commit
            (3.1.1) Update those modules up to $commit (1)(modified_module)
        (3.2) Copy the new file
        (3.3) Update openstack-common with the latest sha

This trusts the granularity and isolation of the patches proposed in
oslo-incubator. However, in cases like 'remove vim mode lines' it'll
fail assuming that updating every module is necessary - which is true
from a git stand point.

The above will make update.py way smarter - and complex - than it's
today, but given the number of projects - new and existing - we have
now, I think it's worth it.

Thoughts?

FF

--