[openstack-dev] How to best make User Experience a priority in every project

Mark McLoughlin markmc at redhat.com
Tue Nov 26 23:35:56 UTC 2013

On Wed, 2013-11-20 at 11:06 -0600, Dean Troyer wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 20, 2013 at 9:09 AM, Thierry Carrez <thierry at openstack.org>wrote:
>
> > However, as was apparent in the Technical Committee meeting discussion
> >
> about it yesterday, most of us are not convinced that establishing and
> > blessing a separate team is the most efficient way to give UX the
> > attention it deserves. Ideally, UX-minded folks would get active
> > *within* existing project teams rather than form some sort of
> > counter-power as a separate team. In the same way we want scalability
> > and security mindset to be present in every project, we want UX to be
> > present in every project. It's more of an advocacy group than a
> > "program" imho.
> >

> Having been working on a cross-project project for a while now I can
> confirm that there is a startling lack of coordination between projects on
> the same/similar tasks.  Oslo was a HUGE step toward reducing that and
> providing a good reference for code and libraries.  There is nothing today
> for the intangible parts that are both user and developer facing such as
> common message (log) formats, common terms (tenant vs project) and so on.
>
> I think the model of the OSSG is a good one.  After reading the log of
> yesterday's meeting I think I would have thrown in that the need from my
> perspective is for a coordination role as much as anything.
>
> The deliverables in the UX Program proposal seem a bit fuzzy to me as far
> as what might go into the repo.  If it is interface specs, those should be
> in either the project code repos docs/ tree or in the docs project
> directly.  Same for a Human Interface Guide (HIG) that both Horizon and OSC
> have (well, I did steal a lot of OSC's guide from Horizon's).

One straightforward example I could imagine from a UX Program is a REST
API design guide which captures the current common patterns between our
current APIs and points the way for common patterns new APIs should aim
to adopt. Same for our CLIs.

Or you could imagine a set of terminology/concept definitions - project
vs tenant anyone? :)

But, I think the basic point is that a group with common interests
should work on producing some concrete deliverables before being asked
to be recognized as an official program.

Mark.