[openstack-dev] tenant or project

Morgan Fainberg m at metacloud.com
Sun Nov 24 05:08:58 UTC 2013

In all honesty it doesn't matter which term we go with.  As long as we are
consistent and define the meaning.  I think we can argue intuitive vs
non-intuitive in this case unto the ground.  I prefer "project" to tenant,
but beyond being a bit of an "overloaded" term, I really don't think anyone
will really notice one way or another as long as everything is using the
same terminology.  We could call it "grouping-of-openstack-things" if we
wanted to (though I might have to pull some hair out if we go to that
terminology).

However, with all that in mind, we have made the choice to move toward
project (horizon, keystone, OSC, keystoneclient) and have some momentum
behind that push (plus newer projects already use the project
nomenclature).   Making a change back to tenant might prove a worse UX than
moving everything else in line (nova I think is the one real major hurdle
to get converted over, and deprecation of keystone v2 API).

Cheers,
--Morgan Fainberg