[openstack-dev] How to stage client major releases in Gerrit?

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Sat Nov 23 01:32:09 UTC 2013

On 2013-11-22 16:18:10 -0800 (-0800), Mark Washenberger wrote:
> Cool. Is this documentation essentially explaining how to keep a
> feature branch up to date with master? (spoiler warning:
> carefully use merge commits?)

Yes, the assumption there is that you want to do development work on
your 2.0 release in a feature branch while continuing to fix bugs in
1.x on your master branch, merge minimal patches from master into
your feature branch as you continue to shape it, and then merge the
feature branch back to master once you're ready to deprecate 1.x and
release 2.0.

I'm not necessarily suggesting that's the right pattern for
deprecation and introducing backward-incompatible changes, just
explaining how we've used feature branches as a pattern elsewhere.
Others (Robert?) will also point out that you're likely going to
encounter just as many issues from developing this on a separate
branch as you would working inline on master and hiding feature
changes behind switches, so the added complexity here may not gain
you any real convenience.
--
Jeremy Stanley