[openstack-dev] [Nova] When is a blueprint unnecessary?

Russell Bryant rbryant at redhat.com
Tue Nov 19 15:56:10 UTC 2013

Greetings,

One of the bits of feedback that came from the "Nova Project Structure
and Process" session at the design summit was that it would be nice to
skip having blueprints for smaller items.

In an effort to capture this, I updated the blueprint review criteria
[1] with the following:

  Some blueprints are closed as unnecessary. Blueprints are used for
  tracking significant development efforts. In general, small and/or
  straight forward cleanups do not need blueprints. A blueprint should
  be filed if:

   - it impacts the release notes
   - it covers significant internal development or refactoring efforts

So, to pick out some examples (not trying to pick on anything in
particular here):

An example of a feature that should be in release notes:
  https://blueprints.launchpad.net/nova/+spec/xenapi-resize-ephemeral-disks

An example of a major refactoring effort that justifies a blueprint:
  https://blueprints.launchpad.net/nova/+spec/live-migration-to-conductor

An example of something I think is small enough to not need a blueprint:
  https://blueprints.launchpad.net/nova/+spec/no-import-uuid

Determining when a blueprint is and is not necessary is a bit difficult
to define clearly.  I would appreciate input on how we can define it
more cleanly so that it can be enforced by the blueprint reviewers
consistently.

Thanks,

[1] https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Blueprints#Blueprint_Review_Criteria

--