[openstack-dev] Split of the openstack-dev list

John Dennis jdennis at redhat.com
Fri Nov 15 14:32:49 UTC 2013

On 11/14/2013 07:54 PM, Caitlin Bestler wrote:
> I would suggest that each *established* project (core or incubator) have
> its own mailing list, and that "openstack-dev" be reserved for
> topics of potential interest across multiple projects (which new
> projects would qualify as).

+1

This seems very sensible to me. When I first started on OpenStack I was
quite surprised *all* the diverse projects were jammed into one list
with no easy way to filter what you're working on as a developer.

After joining openstack-dev my email load has ballooned and it's
seriously affecting my productivity. The vast majority of the email
traffic is immediately deleted because I can't follow nuanced technical
discussions on parts of OpenStack I'm likely never to code in.

Having a seperate mailing list for each project seems to offer the best
of all worlds.

* Subscribe only to what you need to
* Subscribe to everything
* Easy filtering (because you can filter on the mailing list)

Keep openstack-dev for issues which cross project domains.

--
John