[openstack-dev] Designing and implementing Murano (App Catalog for OpenStack)

Alexander Tivelkov ativelkov at mirantis.com
Thu Nov 14 19:30:14 UTC 2013

Hey Stackers,

During HK summit  we’ve been discussing an approach to implement app
catalog for Openstack. We’ve seen certain interest in the topic and heard
from few people that they are working on similar concepts outside of
community.

Apparently Openstack is now mature enough to have a need for an application
catalog which will fulfil several needs of cloud admins and users on
platform level:

- an integration point for applications and services running on top of OS

- the level of management of lifecycle of applications, distribution
channels and billing

- self-service provisioning for applications

Few weeks ago we proposed to extend the mission of Murano to be an
Application Catalog for Openstack, simultaneously we decided to contribute
several parts of the project to other OpenStack projects, mainly Heat and
Mistral.

Our intention is to make the mission and scope of the project as lean as
possible, at the same time leveraging as much of the existing Openstack
services as possible.

As many others we’re excited about Solum project and looking forward to
integrate with Solum and contribute there.

Now the most exciting part - we are looking for contributors! Use cases,
architecture, blueprints, code - anything would be helpful.

Right now is the best time to start, as we are just started figuring out
definition of Application Catalog, getting the requirements, considering
use cases and design concepts.

The project from day one is run on OpenStack infrastructure, following all
standard OpenStack processes and practices and we’re really making an
effort to make it very open.

We believe that this is an initiative which can bring a lot of value to the
community, let’s try to obtain synergy working on this all together. The
earlier you express your interest explicitly, the more impact you’re going
to have on the roadmap.

The high-level overview of the proposal can be found at our wiki:
https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Murano/ApplicationCatalog

This is a work-in-progress document, and it is going to be changed - so
your feedback is very welcome right now.

We’ve created several etherpads to collaborate and gather the requirements
together. Feel free to add anything which seems important for you:

https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/AppCatalogUI - requirements for UI

https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/AppCatalogRoadmap - roadmap with features
and milestones

https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/AppCatalogUseCases - some use-cases,
giving examples of how different users interact with the Application Catalog

Feel free to add anything to these etherpads - and share any ideas you
might have with all the community.

Looking forward for your participation!

Regards,

Alexander Tivelkov