[openstack-dev] [RFC] Straw man to start the incubation / graduation requirements discussion

Joe Gordon joe.gordon0 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 13 18:36:06 UTC 2013

On Wed, Nov 13, 2013 at 9:14 PM, Sean Dague <sean at dague.net> wrote:

> [...]
> >> it has some working integrated gate tests. (Note: there is actually
> >> a symmetric complexity here, to be worked out later).
> >
> > +1 -- I think we already made that decision for any future graduation.
> >
> >> Proposed Stable Release requirements
> >> ==================================== We have this automatic
> >> transition that happens when a project that's integrated for a
> >> release, actually releases as part of that. I.e. Trove and
> >> Icehouse. There is no additional TC decision about whether or not
> >> Trove is part of the stable release, once integrated, it just is.
> >> Nothing that it does over that cycle will kick it out of the stable
> >> release. This is one of the reasons it needs to be in the
> >> integrated gate **before** graduation.
> >
> >> Additionally, upgrade path is critically important to our users,
> >> and the number one piece of feedback we received from the User
> >> Survey. It was also important enough to our developers that it was
> >> scattered all over the Icehouse Design Summit. All integrated
> >> projects should be included in upgrade testing the moment they are
> >> in a stable release. (ex: when Icehouse is released, Trove should
> >> be in master grenade, and upgrade testing from Icehouse -> master
> >> for the J cycle from day one).
> >
> > I agree with you, but I don't see how we can enforce this one. Like
> > you say, integrated projects get commonly released and get a stable
> > branch in all cases. We can strongly encourage them to get their
> > grenade act together before the final release, but there is nothing we
> > can do (short of kicking them out of the integrated release
> > altogether) to ensure it happens.
>
> I think we enforce it with requiring an upgrade test plan as part of
> graduation, so it's a known future thing they need to ensure happens.
> Then, realistically, it should be pretty easy to execute on in most
> cases (the cross service deprecation is a harder question, but that's
> why a plan pre-graduation is required).
>
> >> [...] Raised Questions ================ - what about existing
> >> incubated projects, what would be their time frame to get with this
> >> new program - what about existing integrated projects that
> >> currently don't exist with either an upgrade or gate story? - what
> >> about an upgrade deprecation path (i.e. nova-network => neutron,
> >> nova-baremetal => ironic)
> >
> > The transition for existing incubated/integrated projects is an
> > interesting question. I think it's fine to require that
> > currently-incubated projects get into the integrated gate before they
> > can graduate. For currently-integrated projects that are not up to
> > snuff, I think we should strongly suggest that they fix it before the
> > icehouse release, otherwise the next TC might be driven to make
> > unpleasant decisions.
>
> Agreed. I think setting the bar where we want it to be for Integrated
> and strongly saying we expect getting to that bar to be a top priority
> for existing projects by end of cycle would be the right thing to do.

+1, so it sounds like most projects have some work to do, to avoid any
unpleasant decisions in J.

It would be great to have a document tracking the state of
currently-integrated projects, so we have no surprises later on.  Partially
because having enough useful tests in the gate is somewhat of a judgment
call, so it would be nice to have a clear record tracking things.

> For incubated projects, I would propose we give them the cycle to
> retroactively meet the bar we're talking about for incubation (which,
> again, should only be about 2 days of work if their software can
> actually run in an OpenStack cloud), and if they don't meet it by end of
> cycle, they de-incubate. For instance, Savana is almost already there,
> the devstack plugin mechanism was largely driven to let them hook into
> devstack pre-incubation, without code in the devstack tree. Special
> circumstances accepted, but Ironic and Savana are already well under way
> here.
>
>         -Sean

Sean,
thanks for starting this conversation, I am really happy to see us having
it.