[openstack-dev] Bad review patterns

Joe Gordon joe.gordon0 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 11 21:16:16 UTC 2013

On Tue, Nov 12, 2013 at 3:43 AM, Michael Basnight <mbasnight at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Nov 11, 2013, at 11:27 AM, Joe Gordon <joe.gordon0 at gmail.com> wrote:
>

> On Sun, Nov 10, 2013 at 3:50 PM, Sean Dague <sean at dague.net> wrote:
>
>> Not that I know of. I've considered writing my own gerrit front end
>> mail service to do just that, because I agree, the current mail volume
>> and granularity is not very good. If I manage to carve time on it,
>> I'll do it on stackforge. Joe Gordon took a different approach and
>> wrote a front end client to mark review threads read that are past.
>>

> https://github.com/jogo/gerrit-gmail
>

> Joe described this to me, and it sounded hawt. Thanks for sending this
> out.
>
> From what I gather it auto marks email as read based on merges and
> abandons. Joe, are there any dependencies, workflows, insights you can
> share wrt this?

There are no dependencies  (AFAIK)

Workflow:
I have gmail tag all my gerrit email, so I set 'tag=OpenStack/review' in
gerrit-gmail.conf, and every morning I run './gerrit-gmail.py -a -r' to see
the list of abandoned patches, and then './gerrit-gmail.py -r' to see the
list of merged patches.  And if anything catches my eye I click on the link
to see the gerrit patch.  This way the number of unread gerrit emails
reflects only the list of patches I should be reviewing.

Unfortunately I didn't clearly document how to set up gerrit-gmail to use
gmails oath2, but the links at the bottom of the readme take you through
the steps.

If you have any further questions on how to use it don't hesitate to ask.