[openstack-dev] Bad review patterns

Radomir Dopieralski openstack at sheep.art.pl
Thu Nov 7 11:02:33 UTC 2013

On 06/11/13 09:34, Radomir Dopieralski wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm quite new in the OpenStack project, but I love it already. What is
> especially nifty is the automated review system -- I'm really impressed.
> I'm coming from a project in which we also did reviews of every change
> -- although it was mostly manual, and just one review was enough to
> merge -- and at some point in that project I noticed that it is very
> easy to give reviews that are unhelpful, frustrating and just get in the
> way of the actual work. I started paying attention to how I am reviewing
> code, and I managed to come up with several patterns that are bad. Once
> I know the patterns, it's easier to recognize when I'm doing something
> wrong and rethink the review. I would like to share the patterns that I
> noticed.

I created a page on the wiki,
https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/CodeReviewGuidelines

I put some initial content there, based on the discussion in this
thread. Please feel free to discuss those points further here, and to
amend that page and add to it.

Any ideas of where we could put a link to it? I'm thinking about the
Gerrit Workflow page, maybe also some pages specific to particular teams
(I've seen there is a page with review tips for Nova).

--
Radomir Dopieralski