[openstack-dev] TC membership evolution, take 2

Anne Gentle annegentle at justwriteclick.com
Thu May 30 15:04:23 UTC 2013

On Thu, May 30, 2013 at 9:17 AM, Doug Hellmann
<doug.hellmann at dreamhost.com>wrote:

> On Tue, May 28, 2013 at 5:18 PM, Anne Gentle <
> annegentle at justwriteclick.com> wrote:
>

>> On Tue, May 28, 2013 at 8:29 AM, Thierry Carrez <thierry at openstack.org>wrote:
>>
>>> Hi everyone,
>>>
>>> Back in January we had a thread[1] about modifying how the Technical
>>> Committee members[2] are selected, in order to cope with future expected
>>> growth in the number of projects. Unfortunately there wasn't enough time
>>> to properly discuss it before we had to look into incubated projects
>>> graduation and setting up the Spring elections, so we decided to
>>> postpone this to the Havana cycle.
>>>
>>> [1]
>>>
>>> http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2013-January/004513.html
>>> [2] https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Governance/TechnicalCommittee
>>>
>>> To kick off this second attempt, we had an interesting session at the
>>> Design Summit where various goals were discussed and various solutions
>>> proposed and compared. I summarized the current state of affairs on the
>>> wiki at:
>>>
>>> https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/TC_Membership_Models
>>>
>>> I'd like everyone interested with this discussion to have a look at this
>>> page. If you see goals that we missed, please suggest them on the thread
>>> here, along with how well each currently-proposed solution would score
>>> against it. Same if you think some model was not scored fairly against
>>> existing stated goals. Finally, if you have an alternate model which
>>> you'd like to suggest, feel free to do so. I'll keep the wiki page
>>> updated based on the ML discussion.
>>>

>> Thanks for the draft write up. I have some thoughts for discussion.
>>
>> You point to an idea number of 11 for the group size, and I would like
>> some citation for where that number comes from. I know of the two-pizza
>> rule in tech, and there's group research around "ten-groups" (saying eight
>> to fourteen people in a group is about right for overcoming human nature
>> and collaborating effectively, citing book *Corporation Man* by Antony
>> Jay (Pelican 1975)). What causes you to land on 11? Could we say 10 or a
>> range of 8-14 instead?
>>
>> Defining the ideal group size will help with scoring. For example, I
>> don't think the difference between 11 members and 13 members merits a +2
>> vs. a +1 score.
>>
>> I also think the ideal number of members will help determine whether
>> categories are useful, and further defining categories to discover how many
>> there may be will help score that one better.
>>

> The category model seems interesting, but I would like to be able to
> consider a more concrete proposal. Should we work out a list of specific
> categories?

Yes! I was waiting for a range of values to see where my list from the old
thread [1] might work inside a range.

Storage
Computing
Networking
Monitoring
Operating
Packaging
Continuous Integration and Builds
Doc
QA
Integration Testing
API
UI/CLI (Dashboard/clients)

That's twelve, and I may not be including all the categories. Some do not
have projects yet. There may be another category of "services on top of
Computing" that I'm under-representing, thinking of Databases or Load
Balancers or DNS that would rely on Compute to provide their service. How
would we expand to include them?

Anne

1.
http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2013-January/004539.html