[openstack-dev] [oslo] deprecating openstack.common.wsgi

Doug Hellmann doug.hellmann at dreamhost.com
Thu May 30 00:07:12 UTC 2013

I have -2ed several changes to the wsgi module in oslo-incubator in the
last few weeks, and I wanted to bring it up on the list to explain the
reasons more broadly.

At the last summit we agreed that the goal was to start deprecating our
home-grown WSGI service implementation in favor of moving to a new set of
tools called Pecan and WSME (
https://etherpad.openstack.org/havana-common-wsgi). While I understand that
we can't just drop everything and build new API servers, I do feel strongly
that we should not continue developing new features for the module we are
deprecating.

I don't see any other projects with "wsgi" in their openstack-common.conf,
nor did I find any copies of openstack/common/wsgi.py in any other
projects. I did find several wsgi.py files in different directories in the
projects. I take that to mean that we are/were still in the process of
unifying the various forked versions of the module, and I propose that we
just not bother doing more work on that. Since no project is already using
Oslo's wsgi module, I'm not sure it makes sense to bring bug fixes into
Oslo, either. If I've missed something, and projects are in fact using the
module, then we should continue to deal with bug fixes.

To officially indicate the module as deprecated, Mark suggested moving it
to openstack/common/deprecated/wsgi.py. I have done that in changeset
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/30972/. As the commit log message
mentions, there is still some work to be done to remove the dependency
between one or two of the middleware classes and the now deprecated module.
I would appreciate any ideas about the best way to do that from folks who
know about those modules.

As we move to the new tools, I am sure we will find new bits of code
related to setting up those projects that we can share. For example, the
code to configure the keystone middleware for an API service shouldn't need
to be repeated across all of the projects. We should start a new module to
hold those pieces, taken from the projects that are starting to use Pecan
and WSME already. I volunteer to be the primary maintainer for that new
module within Oslo.

Doug