[openstack-dev] TC membership evolution, take 2

Anne Gentle annegentle at justwriteclick.com
Tue May 28 21:18:24 UTC 2013

On Tue, May 28, 2013 at 8:29 AM, Thierry Carrez <thierry at openstack.org>wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> Back in January we had a thread[1] about modifying how the Technical
> Committee members[2] are selected, in order to cope with future expected
> growth in the number of projects. Unfortunately there wasn't enough time
> to properly discuss it before we had to look into incubated projects
> graduation and setting up the Spring elections, so we decided to
> postpone this to the Havana cycle.
>
> [1]
> http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2013-January/004513.html
> [2] https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Governance/TechnicalCommittee
>
> To kick off this second attempt, we had an interesting session at the
> Design Summit where various goals were discussed and various solutions
> proposed and compared. I summarized the current state of affairs on the
> wiki at:
>
> https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/TC_Membership_Models
>
> I'd like everyone interested with this discussion to have a look at this
> page. If you see goals that we missed, please suggest them on the thread
> here, along with how well each currently-proposed solution would score
> against it. Same if you think some model was not scored fairly against
> existing stated goals. Finally, if you have an alternate model which
> you'd like to suggest, feel free to do so. I'll keep the wiki page
> updated based on the ML discussion.

Thanks for the draft write up. I have some thoughts for discussion.

You point to an idea number of 11 for the group size, and I would like some
citation for where that number comes from. I know of the two-pizza rule in
tech, and there's group research around "ten-groups" (saying eight to
fourteen people in a group is about right for overcoming human nature and
collaborating effectively, citing book *Corporation Man* by Antony Jay
(Pelican 1975)). What causes you to land on 11? Could we say 10 or a range
of 8-14 instead?

Defining the ideal group size will help with scoring. For example, I don't
think the difference between 11 members and 13 members merits a +2 vs. a +1
score.

I also think the ideal number of members will help determine whether
categories are useful, and further defining categories to discover how many
there may be will help score that one better.

Thanks,
Anne

> Hopefully we can all come up with a generally-consensual model able to
> handle future growth of the project.
>
> Regards,
>
> --
> Thierry Carrez (ttx)