[openstack-dev] [OpenStack] [Glance] Reuse the image id when recreate an image in Glance which had been deleted

John Bresnahan jbresnah at redhat.com
Wed May 22 21:44:57 UTC 2013

> Also, I think we should ask,
> what we really gain removing this information from the database?

That is a good question.  My concern here is not removing the deleted
information.  My concern is that the data can potentially be misleading.
 There is nothing that says the metadata associated with a given image
ID in glance has complete constancy with what was booted.

My concern is that the use case here breaks down to looking at all
images that are running and assuming that they were booted with what is
currently in Glance.  However, that image could have had modifications
to its metadata, or it could have even been deleted an uploaded with an
entirely new image.

The pattern of looking up information about a running instance in glance
is broken.  As Iccha mentioned earlier, it makes much more sense to
check the running instance itself for all of the meta-data with which it
was booted.  If anything is needed and not there, lets find a way to add it.

Getting back to delete:  Is there reason to keep the deleted information
other than as some sort of audit trail?  While I definitely think that
having a means to discover everything that happened on a system is a
very important and useful feature, I think doing it in this way is
dangerous because it can result in false conclusions.

John