[openstack-dev] Running multiple filter schedulers in parallel

Day, Phil philip.day at hp.com
Tue May 21 22:27:01 UTC 2013

Hi Folks,

I wondered if anyone else has managed to run multiple filter-schedulers concurrently under a high load ?

I'd thought that the race conditions that we had in the past (where multiple schedulers pick the same host) been eliminated through the reworking of the resource tracker / retry mechanism, but whilst it is much better I still see the odd case where a request gets rejected multiple times (and eventually fails) because on each successive host it fails to get the resources the scheduler thought were there.

I guess on reflection its implicit in any solution which relies on fail / retry approach to cover the race condition that under a large load the number of retries for any specific request is effectively unlimited, and so no value of max_retries is ever going to be quite big enough - but before I do some more head scratching about how (if) to try and make this more robust under load I'd see if others have approach this I thought I'd ask if others were also trying to rune more than one active scheduler.

Thanks,
Phil