[openstack-dev] A proposal for RPC-friendly objects

Mark McLoughlin markmc at redhat.com
Tue May 7 05:21:31 UTC 2013

Hi Dan,

On Mon, 2013-05-06 at 13:36 -0700, Dan Smith wrote:
> We've been working on some proof-of-concept code to do this, and I've
> written up a wiki page describing what we're trying to do:
>
>   https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/ObjectProposal
>
> We'd appreciate some feedback on the approach, as well as discussion
> about whether something like this belongs in Oslo so that it can be
> used by other projects.

Nice work!

Wrt Oslo, the serialization hook needs to go in from the start,
obviously, but I'd recommend developing the base object class in Nova in
a way (e.g. by abstracting away nova-isms) that it can easily be moved
to Oslo later at the moment when another project wants to use it.
Starting it in oslo-incubator when no other projects are using it would
just be unnecessary overhead for you.

Cheers,
Mark.