[openstack-dev] [nova][moniker] DNSaaS but DNS Updates not first class interface ?

Simo Sorce simo at redhat.com
Wed May 1 15:02:35 UTC 2013

I have been looking at the DNS as a Service proposal stuff that was
recently brought up on the list and on IRC.

And I am very surprised to see people here want to actually own the DNS
server backend (writing to databases directly and stuff) instead of
simply using DNS Updates and letting the deployer choose the DNS server
infrastructure it likes best.

Why DNS Updates are not the primary interaction method with a DNS Server
in moniker (or nova-dns) ?

They are standard and quite simple to use, and any DNS Server worth this
name support them with multiple authentication methods (TSIG or GSS-TSIG
being the most prominent).

So I am baffled to see people going the direction of creating much more
complex deigns to interact directly with databases and stuff when that
is basically a solved problem in today infrastructures and trying to
*own* the DNS Server is going to cause more problems than it solves when
trying to integrate in an existing network.

Please comment.

Simo.

--
Simo Sorce * Red Hat, Inc * New York