[openstack-dev] [Quantum] Quantum plugin basic workflow

Salvatore Orlando sorlando at nicira.com
Wed May 1 13:14:20 UTC 2013

Hi Ivar,

Please see some comments inline.
For this kind of questions it is probably better to use
ask.openstack.orgthan the mailing list - this might give you a
quicker, and more thorough,
response.

Salvatore

On 24 April 2013 20:14, Ivar Lazzaro <ivarlazzaro at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I wonder if someone can help me with some basic questions about a typical
> Quantum plugin workflow.
> I got the general lines from the following link:
>
> http://docs.openstack.org/api/openstack-network/2.0/content/Theory.html
>
> But there are some implementation aspects which are not clear about point
> 3 (Boot VM and attach it to the network):
>
> referring to:
> https://github.com/openstack/quantum/blob/master/quantum/quantum_plugin_base_v2.py
>
> 1. How does nova "ask quantum to attach a compute VM nic to a specific
> network"? calling the "create_port" (or "update_port") method?

Nova uses the quantum API for creating ports using, as you say methods such
as POST /v2.0/ports and PUT /v2.0/ports.
All of this happens in nova.network.quantumv2.api
Nova also has APIs for security groups and floating IPs; when Quantum is
enabled these calls are just proxied to the quantum server.

> 2. If the "device" indicates which entity has to be attached to a
> particular network, then what does device_owner indicates somehow the
> entity "type" and the ID refers to the entity itself (i.e. DB id for a
> compute VM). Is that correct?

Yes, it's pretty much correct. device_owner for VM VIFs is currently always
"compute:nova"

> 3. If I got the "Boot VM and attach it to the network" workflow completely
> wrong, then what is the right one (from the implementation point of view)?

I think you had the workflow right. If you have a look a the API class
previously mentioned this should be even clearer.