[openstack-dev] Future of Launchpad Answers [Community]

Stefano Maffulli stefano at openstack.org
Thu Mar 28 22:22:40 UTC 2013

On 03/27/2013 12:08 AM, Jesse Pretorius wrote:
> Personally I'm in favour of the full import into Ask. That leaves a
> legacy of information to go back on. The voting for the best answer
> isn't entirely necessary in my view - over time the voting will come in
> from people who found the information useful.

This makes sense indeed. Atul was thinking of copying over 'manually'
the best/most recent ones. I have no idea of what makes more sense, I
guess it depends on the quantity of questions that are worth moving over.

> On 26 March 2013 17:40, Thierry Carrez wrote:
>     That makes it certainly possible to select questions ('Answered' ones ?)
>     and import them with all comments, although proper tagging and selection
>     of best answer would be missing... requiring some editorial pass
>     afterwards.

Atul: what do you think?

>     Alternatively, we can just keep LP answers going for selected projects
>     that made good use of them.

I advice strongly against this. LP has a pretty bad UI, mandates a LP
login, the product is probably not going to be developed further and
most of all using different tools will split a nascent community of
users now that we're increasing the efforts to strengthen it. Let's move
the good content to Ask and use that.

/stef