[openstack-dev] pep8 pinning in requirements

James Page james.page at ubuntu.com
Thu Mar 21 12:12:52 UTC 2013

On 20/03/13 18:51, Clint Byrum wrote:
[...]
>> Well, from a distribution standpoint, imposing such a
>> restrictive build-dependency is just crazy. In Debian, there's
>> either pep8 1.2 (in Wheezy which is frozen) or 1.4.4 (in SID).
>> It's like that, and it wont change soon, unless there is a new
>> upstream release. There will never be a 1.3.3. This kind of
>> situation is likely to happen in other distributions than
>> Debian.
>
> Which is why we have tox to run things like pep8 in a virtualenv
> that isolates the tools from the distribution code. I understand
> that the fact that developers would like to take responsibility for
> their own tools infuriates distributors, but I don't think it is
> warranted.
>
> This particular issue feels like it is worthy of a special case and
> that distributors should not worry about pep8/hacking.py/etc.

Agreed - we should only actually care about unit/functional tests.

[...]
>> PLEASE DON'T !!!
>>
>> Openstack already made my Debian package maintainer life
>> miserable, because there was only version 1.2 in SID. I don't
>> want to have to spend my life convincing the maintainer of pep8
>> to upload a new release.
>>

> For pep8, not other things, why should Debian, Ubuntu, Fedora, or
> Mary-Joe-Cloud-Distributor care? Downstream is too late to run
> pep8.

+1 on this point - running the pep8 tests during the package build
process in Ubuntu is just a waste of cycles; we will be disabling the
PEP8 tests in the Ubuntu packages going forward (probably starting
with the havana packages).

- --
James Page
Ubuntu Core Developer