[openstack-dev] Nova core team spammed by alerts from answers.launchpad.net

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Wed Mar 20 10:20:35 UTC 2013

On Tue, Mar 19, 2013 at 10:48:18AM -0600, John Griffith wrote:

> > > I went ahead and removed nova-core as the answers contact.  It looks
> > > like you can add yourself to a list of people to get notified if you
> > > want.  There are 15+ people on the list right now.
> >
> > I didn't know it was possible. We're facing the same problem with
> > Ceilometer, so I just did the same.
> >
> > People may want to subscribe individually then in the mean time -- I see
> > Doug did it already.
>
> Personally I'd prefer that core folks WERE spammed, IMO the core team
> hopefully has a bit higher level of interest in the project and it's
> status.  Questions from users (while some may be a bit tedious or remedial)
> seem like a good feedback loop.  More visibility and spam maybe could
> equate to more answers and better code in the future.

It is all a question of time prioritization - being on the core team
you have a responsibility to spend much more time on code reviews in
Gerrit, on top of any existing development work you might be involved
in. I agree processing user questions can give you visibility into
problems that users are facing & thus help improve the code, but it is
also a very significant time sink, and so would divert core team members
away from doing code reviews which is their core job.

Further to that, user feedback is really relevant to all members of the
openstack developer community, not merely core team, so I don't think
"nova core" needs to be considered special wrt to the 'answers' site.
So, IMHO, we should look to encourage all members of the community to
follow the user answers site when they have the time, not force the
core team who are already overworked with code review. Maybe even
add a way to provide incentives/rewards to people to deal with user
questions, if we find there are not enough people answering questions.
Carrot, rather than stick.

Regards,
Daniel