[openstack-dev] openstack vs. well known ports

Sean Dague sdague at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Fri Mar 15 18:27:02 UTC 2013

We're on attempt 3 or 4 to turn on swift in devstack by default, but one
of the issues we keep running into is the fact that the range of ports
that swift defaults to: 601x, is also the range of ports the X server
likes to use. This could be for a local X server, or X forwarding if you
enabled that in your ssh sessions.

In a highly optimized swift environment, it's probably not an issue. But
in an environment where the physical resources are being used for other
things, the fact that we colide with something like X seems problematic.

Has there been any investigation by anyone going to IANA to get some
ports registered for OpenStack projects? Picking ones at random has
managed not to completely burn us up to this point, but it seems like it
would be safer to get some known ones reserved.

	-Sean

--
Sean Dague
IBM Linux Technology Center