[openstack-dev] [Nova] PTL Candidacy

Michael Still mikal at stillhq.com
Fri Mar 8 13:31:41 UTC 2013

On Fri, Mar 8, 2013 at 6:51 AM, Mark McLoughlin <markmc at redhat.com> wrote:

[snip]

> (FWIW, I do buy the argument that things are improving organically and
> that a more radical change might be overkill ... but figure it's worth
> talking through this a bit more)
>
> Nova is indeed quite busy. For me personally, the answer to "well, what
> would it take for me to be Nova PTL?" is basically "drop everything else
> and just do that".
>
> I'm sure both you and Michael feel the same way when submitting your
> candidacies, but you both also hope the team will take more of the
> burden from the PTL.
>
> That's all great, but I struggle to see it ending (any time, at least)
> in a situation where the PTL doesn't have an order of magnitude work and
> responsibility than anyone else on the team.

I think the thing here is that we're all talking about delegating
aspects of the technical job. I'd like to experiment with delegating
softer aspects. If we had someone to run meetings who wasn't the PTL,
or someone to keep a close eye on the state of the bug queue and
motivate people to fix / triage bugs, then the PTL can focus on the
other things which are harder to delegate.

There's a lot of negotiating with other people in the PTL role. I
suspect that the technical decision making aspect isn't where the
majority of time goes.

Michael