[openstack-dev] [Nova] PTL Candidacy

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Fri Mar 8 10:07:38 UTC 2013

Monty Taylor wrote:
> I'd honestly be happy to see none of the "drivers" group have an
> official "PTL" seat on the TC - but instead for the project/drivers
> group itself to get one vote. Now, how that group wants to managing its
> vote, be it by offline consensus, or rotating one of them just making
> the TC vote I think should be up to the group of drivers- as long as we
> know what the deal is.
>
> TC meetings are open to anyone who wants to come and talk anyway - so if
> 4 people wanted to come from Nova and sit in as PTL and _talk_ during
> the meeting, so what. If one of them then happens to be the one to type:
>
> #vote yes
>
> you know, great.
>
> Can the TC make this change without going through a year-long
> debate/charter amendment process?

I don't think we need to (or should) change anything to enable that model.

It's good if one person within that "drivers" group has the primary task
of ensuring communication with other groups (TC, Release management in
particular). That person is the PTL, and has seat on TC and voice on
release meeting. The fact that he reports the rough consensus of a group
of leaders rather than make his own decision is orthogonal to this:
every project will have some variation of this model.

We already have proxying rules in place so that the PTL can ask someone
else to replace him in meetings. So the "Nova drivers" could even rotate
on the TC if that's what they really want. But personally I'd prefer to
have one person to contact and nag, even if he can spread the load on
the rest of the drivers.

It's way easier to let each project organize themselves however they
want, as long as they provide the same interface (API?) to the other
groups in the project (= the PTL). That way we don't need to start
special-casing projects governance, which is necessary if we want to
pursue growth.

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)
Chair, OpenStack Technical Committee