[openstack-dev] Dependency version pinning [was Re: Pyparsing 2.0 breaking jenkins jobs]

Alan Pevec apevec at gmail.com
Wed Mar 6 11:53:25 UTC 2013

2013/3/6 Mark McLoughlin <markmc at redhat.com>
> > The conclusion I'm coming to from the discussion is that by and large
> > Python library maintainers try to avoid incompatible changes and they
> > have commitments to stability built into their versioning schemes. We
> > need to understand each library's versioning scheme and do e.g.
> >
> >   sqlalchemy>=0.7.8,<0.8

Note that pip considers 0.8.0b2 <0.8 which already breaks API, we had
one gate breakage when sqlalchemy pushed first 0.8 beta.
Not sure what's the solution, currently we have in tools/pip-requres
SQLAlchemy>=0.7.8,<=0.7.9 which should be updated now that 0.7.10 is
the latest stable release.

Cheers,
Alan