[openstack-dev] RFC: last minute changes to Oslo library versioning and naming

Mark McLoughlin markmc at redhat.com
Tue Mar 5 22:05:52 UTC 2013

On Tue, 2013-03-05 at 14:02 +0000, Mark McLoughlin wrote:
> Hey,
>
> The thread on naming of namespace packages[1] and the discussion about
> PEP426 on distutils-sig[2] have lead me to these conclusion:
>
>   - Naming the package oslo.config is a better choice than oslo-config.
>     I don't think there's necessarily a standard for naming these
>     things but it seems more likely that period-separated will become
>     more common than hyphen-separated (i.e. zope.interface vs
>     oslo-config)
>
>   - The date based 2013.1 version is likely to be disallowed by PEP426
>     when it is ratified and we'll end up making the date based version
>     a "private version" but 0.2013.1 would be the version on PyPI. Uggh.
>
>   - I'm coming around to the idea of using semantic versioning (i.e.
>     x.y.z) and increasing the major number when removing any deprecated
>     APIs. That certainly is the trend expressed in PEP426 and on
>     distutils-sig. I'd be far more reluctant to actually remove
>     deprecated APIs, though, so this would change our policy from
>     "remove APIs after a year of deprecation" to "very rarely making
>     any incompatible changes to our APIs"
>
>   - With semantic versioning, I figure we'd increase the micro number
>     when we do release from the stable branch and increase the minor
>     number with every coordinated OpenStack release.
>
> In practical terms, I'm proposing doing:
>
>  -package = 'oslo-config'
>  -version = '2013.1'
>  +package = 'oslo.config'
>  +version = '1.1.0'
>
> in oslo-config's setup.py
>
> I know this is painful for packagers. In Fedora, I'll have to set an
> "epoch" which packagers always hate doing. In Debian, it'll probably
> mean the package name changing to python-oslo.config.
>
> However, this is why we didn't publish directly to PyPI - we wanted the
> opportunity to catch issues like this. So, I'm thinking we should just
> go for it ASAP.

Thanks for everyone's input. I've pushed these changes for review:

  https://review.openstack.org/23621
  https://review.openstack.org/23622

I think it's clear we should make the versioning change. The name change
I'm less certain about, but my instinct tells me we should take the
opportunity to get it right now.

Thanks,
Mark.