[openstack-dev] Configuration files group/section case consistency between projects

Joe Gordon jogo at cloudscaling.com
Tue Mar 5 20:05:02 UTC 2013

On Mar 5, 2013 10:19 AM, "Alessandro Pilotti" <ap at pilotti.it> wrote:

> Hi guys,
>
> We recently moved the nova.conf Hyper-V options to a dedicated group and
we ended up having different casings for the options group in Nova and
Quantum, as section casing conventions differs between the projects. E.g.:

> nova.conf:
> [hyperv]
>
> quantum.conf:
> [HYPERV]
>
> This inconsistency can lead to a lot of issues from a user perspective,
as it's quite difficult to troubleshoot this type of configuration file
errors. IMHO a common convention should be decided and applied consistently
across all OpenStack projects. Since the [DEFAULT] group is uppercase, I'd
go with this casing, but anything else is fine as long as it is consistent.

> In a recent chat on the #openstack-nova channel, markmc proposed to do
case insensitive group names matching, which IMO would be a perfect
solution.
> This is also supported by the fact that historically sections (groups)
names are case insensitive in the INI format used by OpenStack:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/INI_file#Case_insensitivity

+1