[openstack-dev] [Nova] Bug #741626 - FLAGS.fixed_range is silly

Nathanael Burton nathanael.i.burton at gmail.com
Mon Mar 4 18:32:10 UTC 2013

On Mon, Mar 4, 2013 at 1:15 PM, Jay Pipes <jaypipes at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 03/04/2013 12:52 PM, Nathanael Burton wrote:
> > Problem 1: Users have to specify the 'fixed_range' in the first place in
> > their nova.conf file, when it shouldn't be necessary as the system (DB
> > networks table) has all the information it needs to set up the NATs
> > correctly.  If this eventually gets implemented we can deprecate and
> > then remove the flag entirely in Havana or future.
>
> Right. This is kind of what I'm saying... we should just do this now and
> not add any more confusion to the nova.conf options.
>
> Best
> -jay

To be clear, you agree that this should be done?

Then:

1. Keep 'fixed_range' in Grizzly with a new default (?) value of 'dynamic'
meaning use the new behavior and completely remove the 'fixed_range' flag
in Havana

or

2. Do the dynamic fixed_range automatically and remove 'fixed_range'
altogether in Grizzly?