[openstack-dev] ServiceGroup code in Nova

Eric Windisch eric at cloudscaling.com
Sun Mar 3 02:22:19 UTC 2013

On Saturday, March 2, 2013 at 16:05 PM, Endre Karlson wrote:

> Would it be possible to get the Zookeeper code and so on moved out of Nova and into Oslo?

To me, it seems inappropriate to do this during the feature-freeze. However, I do think that this should be done in Havana.

Presently however, in Oslo, there does exist similar functionality in the "matchmaker" which is presently part and parcel with the RPC drivers. We're only using this for ZeroMQ messaging at the present, but it could be used in place of Nova's service group API. In fact, I even have a patch to back Nova's service group API with the matchmaker. The Matchmaker presently supports lookups via a static, file-based service directory and via a Redis server. If you're looking for Service Group API functionality in oslo-incubator today, without waiting for Havana, I do suggest looking at openstack.common.rpc.matchmaker.

I will be proposing a session on bridging the gap between the matchmaker service-group features at the Havana summit.

My opinion at present is that the matchmaker should gain Zookeeper and Memcache drivers, ported from the work done with the Service Group API, and introduce a service-group driver that is supported by the matchmaker.  This will simplify the option of using the database and nova-conductor, which are more difficult to support in Oslo itself, while also supporting these alternative solutions (Zookeeper, Redis, Memcache, etc). We have discussed going the other way around as well, and arguably we could do that. However, I think the matchmaker presently offers a superset of features, has the advantage of already being in oslo-incubator, and will now have been in two stable releases. Of course, I'm more than biased, as the principal author of the matchmaker code.

Regards,
Eric Windisch