[openstack-dev] [Heat] re: discussion about passing metadata into provider stacks as parameters

Clint Byrum clint at fewbar.com
Wed Jun 26 17:55:17 UTC 2013

On 2013-06-20 22:49, Angus Salkeld wrote:
> On 20/06/13 22:19 -0400, cbjchen at linux.vnet.ibm.com wrote:
>>
>> So anyway, let's get back to the topic this thread was discussing
>> about - "passing meta data into provider stacks".
>>
>> It seems that we have all reached an agreement that deletepolicy and
>> updatepolicy will be passed as params, and metadata will be exposed to
>> provider templates through a function
>>
>> In terms of implemetation,
>>
>> MetaData:
>>
>> - add a resolve method to template.py to handle
>> {'Fn::ProvidedResource': 'Metadata'}
>
> I think the name needs a little thought, how about:
>
> {'Fn::ResourceFacade': 'Metadata'}

<user>
What the heck is a resource facade?
</user>

Can we perhaps take a step back from being developers and consider the
user experience for a second?

This function name may make sense from an implementation standpoint,
but for users, I don't think they're going to be grasping what design
patterns we've applied to our internals.

Can somebody, in plain english, explain why these can't work in a
similar manner cloudformation pseudo parameters like AWS::StackName and
AWS::Region?