[openstack-dev] Ceilometer: Proposal to add resource_metadata to reporting Meter object

Pendergrass, Eric eric.pendergrass at hp.com
Wed Jun 26 17:28:03 UTC 2013

Our group would like to have resource_metadata available on the Meter object
(currently it's not there).  The reason is so we may supply additional
customized attributes associated with a Meter.  Examples include other
timestamp values, a project owner, and processing status.

Currently, to get these values we would need to request a  Sample for the
Meter.  This is problematic because we often want to get Meter lists
associated with certain customized attributes, such as the project owner.

Changing the Meter spec
(http://docs.openstack.org/developer/ceilometer/webapi/v2.html#Meter) to
include resource_metadata would not require others to use the new field.
Clients could ignore it as they do for Samples.

It wouldn't necessarily require any code changes if we documented the field
as not implemented.  The only change it would require is to the Meter table
schema, so that if someone were to supply the field it could be stored.

Here is the wishlist item along with discussion.  Any comments appreciated.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ceilometer/+bug/1194593

Thank you,

Eric Pendergrass