[openstack-dev] RFC: Basic definition of OpenStack Programs and first batch

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Wed Jun 26 12:51:55 UTC 2013

Hi everyone,

Yesterday at the TC meeting we agreed that as a first step to
establishing programs, we should have a basic definition of them and
establish the first (undisputed) ones.

We can solve harder questions (like if "horizontal efforts" should be a
program or a separate thing, or where each current official repo exactly
falls) as a second step.

So here is my proposal for step 1:

"""
'OpenStack Programs' are efforts which are essential to the completion
of our mission, but which do not produce deliverables included in the
common release of OpenStack 'integrated' projects every 6 months, like
Projects do. Programs can create any code repository and produce any
deliverable they deem necessary to achieve their goals.

Programs are placed under the oversight of the Technical Committee, and
contributing to one of their code repositories grants you ATC status.

Current efforts or teams which want to be recognized as an 'OpenStack
Program' should place a request to the Technical Committee, including a
clear mission statement describing how they help the OpenStack general
mission and how that effort is essential to the completion of our
mission. Programs do not need to go through an Incubation period.

The initial Programs are 'Documentation', 'Infrastructure', 'QA' and
'Oslo'. Those programs should retroactively submit a mission statement
and initial lead designation, if they don't have one already.
"""

This motion is expected to be discussed and voted at the next TC
meeting, so please comment on this thread.

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)