[openstack-dev] OpenStack Programs

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Tue Jun 25 16:58:22 UTC 2013

Mark McLoughlin wrote:
> [1] - ok, some caveats on what I mean by "integrated release" ...
>
> We're producing software for people who want to build clouds. A software
> "product", for want of a better term.
>
> Right now, we say the official "service projects" (definition: a project
> which exposes a REST API?) are "integrated projects" and that's what's
> contained in our release. I think we also say that Oslo libraries are
> part of the integrated release.

I think I have a slightly different view.

We as a project produce a number of deliverables. Some of those (the
"integrated projects") are released as a common, coordinated release at
the end of our 6-month development cycles. The others (which include the
python client libraries and the Oslo libraries) are released as-needed,
although in some cases they borrow the same release cycle.

I don't think we should start overloading the meaning of "integrated".
So the way I see it you would have teams, potentially producing
deliverables. If one of those deliverables is to be part of the
"integrated release" then you want to become a "Project" and you need to
go through Incubation so that we check that you won't fuck up the rest
of the integrated projects. If your team works on other deliverables
(Documentation, Oslo libraries) or helps other teams (Infrastructure,
Release) then you can apply to become a "Program".

All the deliverables from Projects + Programs are OpenStack deliverables
and contributing to them grants you ATC status, and in return Projects
and Programs are under the oversight of the TC.

Do you think we need to distinguish between those deliverables, and tag
some of them as being part of the OpenStack "product", and some others
as merely production helpers ? I'm not sure that would add a lot of value...

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)