[openstack-dev] [oslo] Sample config file location inconsistency

Zhongyue Luo zhongyue.nah at intel.com
Tue Jun 25 14:10:24 UTC 2013

On Tue, Jun 25, 2013 at 6:21 PM, Gary Kotton <gkotton at redhat.com> wrote:

>  On 06/25/2013 06:03 AM, Zhongyue Luo wrote:
>
>  Hi team
>
>  I'm currently trying to move the generate_sample.sh script in nova to
> oslo.
>
>  Before pushing the patch to gerrit, I wanted to give the output
> directory a default value if it was not stated so I was wondering where
> projects put their sample config file at and did this:
>
>  find . -name "*.conf*" ! -path "*.tox*" ! -path "*.venv*" | grep etc
>
>  results:
>  ./ceilometer/etc/ceilometer/ceilometer.conf.sample
> ./cinder/etc/cinder/cinder.conf.sample
> ./nova/etc/nova/nova.conf.sample
>  ./swift/etc/swift.conf-sample
>  ./tempest/etc/tempest.conf.sample
> ./glance/etc/glance-cache.conf
>  ./quantum/etc/quantum.conf
>

> At the moment Neutron (it is getting hard to get used to) does not have
> sample configuration file(s). The convention that we use is to try and have
> the default value of the variable in the configuration file commented out
> so that the user can update if they choose.
>
> In addition to this there are a number of different configuration files,
> for example - dhcp-agent.ini, l3-agent.ini etc. It may be a bit tricky
> generating sample configuration files for all of these.
>
> Thanks
> Gary

This is also how Glance manages their conf files. I agree that it's better
when configuration files are as small as possible for each daemon so this
requirement makes sense. However mapping the options to the files seems
need of manual control for the time being. Therefore the current goal is to
list up all the options in one file with the default values commented out.
This is for the web doc team to go through minimum hassle for updating
option documentation. We should have further discussion on how to
automatically map options to its conf file.