[openstack-dev] Diskimage-builder, Heat, and the Gate

Sean Dague sean at dague.net
Tue Jun 25 11:17:00 UTC 2013

Cool proposed change coming in from the Heat folks -
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/34278/ to use dib to build their base
images in devstack. From a development perspective, will make
experimenting with Heat a lot easier.

However, this raises an issue as we look towards using this in the gate,
because diskimage-builder isn't currently gated by devstack-gate. But if
Heat wants to use it we're talking about pulling upstream master as part
of the build. Which opens us up to an asymmetric gate where a dib change
can land which breaks the gate, then all nova changes are blocked from
merging until it gets in.

I think we need to be really explicit that on the gate, every git tree
we pull in is also gated, to ensure nothing breaks other projects
ability to merge code. Asymmetric gating is no fun.

This gets a little odder in that dib is out on stackforge and not as
part of an openstack* github tree. Which on the one hand is just naming,
on the other hand if heat's going to need that to get through the gate,
maybe we should rethink it being on stackforge vs. openstack-dev?

	-Sean

--
Sean Dague
http://dague.net