[openstack-dev] [OpenStack-Dev] Cinder API Web Framework Change

John Griffith john.griffith at solidfire.com
Tue Jun 25 03:53:23 UTC 2013

All,

I wanted to loop the larger community in on some discussions that have been
taking place on #openstack-cinder.

During the Summit we talked about switching to Pecan for our API/Web
framework.  Since then we've registered a BP [1] and some pretty good
progress has been made.

Since starting this effort however we've been debating the best way to
implement this change:

1. Replace existing WSGI framework in the existing API versions

In my opinion there's a bit of risk here with changing the entire framework
tha the API is built on, and even though I'm confident this can be done I'm
not sure of the return on the investment and really I don't see anything
that compelling when you consider all of the changes in not only the API
code but in the unit tests that would be affected.

2. Bump to a new API version and isolate the changes to that new version

This is my preference and IMO the right way to go, however there's no
driving need for another API version bump in Cinder currently.  I
personally don't like the idea of bumping the API version for every
release, even if we're keeping things stable and maintaining backward
compatibility without issues.  For me there isn't an overly compelling
reason to justify this change for the H release.

My plan is to go with option #2, and to push this change out until the I
release.  I'd like to know if anybody has strong feelings or justifications
that we should consider on this before moving forward.

Thanks,
John

[1] https://blueprints.launchpad.net/cinder/+spec/web-framework-switch