[openstack-dev] OpenStack Programs

Mark Washenberger mark.washenberger at markwash.net
Mon Jun 24 16:23:41 UTC 2013

Thanks for kicking off this discussion! I think the idea of programs has
fantastic promise.

On Mon, Jun 24, 2013 at 2:50 AM, Thierry Carrez <thierry at openstack.org>wrote:

> [...]
>
> The list of official projects used to be simple (Swift+Nova) but
> nowadays it is rather convoluted, with categories like "integrated",
> "incubated", "library", "gating" and "supporting", as described in [1].
> That complexity derived from the need to special-case some projects
> because their PTL would automatically get a TC seat. Now that we
> simplified the TC membership, we can also simplify official projects
> nomenclature by blessing the goals rather than the specific repositories.
>
> [1] https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Projects
>
> This is why Monty had the idea of "programs" which would be blessed by
> the TC (and then any code under an official program becomes "official").
> Rather than trying to come up with categories that would cover all the
> stuff that the Infrastructure team is working on (gating, supporting,
> libraries...), just say that "Infrastructure" is a program and let them
> add any repo that they need. The TC would bless the *mission statement*
> of the program rather than the specific set of projects implemented to
> reach that goal.
>
> That sounds like a pretty nice idea, so could we consider everything
> falls under the realm of a "program" ? Like having an "integrated
> release" program that would contain all integrated projects ? I think we
> need to keep special-casing a concept of "projects", separated from
> "programs", since those are accepted one by one by the TC and go through
> an incubation period. Those "projects" would contain at least one repo
> that wants to be part of the integrated, common OpenStack release, plus
> anything the same team works on (like the corresponding python client
> project).
>
> To match with the current state we would end up with:
> * Projects (Nova, Neutron, Swift, Glance, Keystone, Horizon, Cinder,
> Ceilometer, Heat)
> * Incubated projects (Trove, Ironic)
> * Programs (Oslo, Infrastructure, Documentation, QA)
>
> New programs would draft a clear mission statement and apply to the TC
> for consideration. Programs should also expect to have a specific
> "topic" at the Design Summit (most of them already have), and should
> probably designate a lead/ambassador as a clear go-to person.
>
> A few questions I had left:
>
> * There are efforts that span multiple projects but work directly on the
> project code repositories, like integrated release, or stable
> maintenance, or vulnerability management (collectively called for the
> convenience of this thread "horizontal efforts"). Should they be
> considered separate programs (without repos) ? Be lumped together into
> some catch-all "integration" or "production" program ? Or ignored as far
> as ATC status goes ? I've mixed feelings about that. On one hand I'd
> like those efforts visible and official to be more widely seen as a good
> way to contribute to OpenStack. On the other hand it's hard to tie ATC
> membership to those since we can't trace that back to commits to a

Can you clarify this concern? Overall, folks would still be ATCs of the
projects that they were committing on in the name of the given program, so
their "OpenStack ATC" status would be successfully tracked regardless. Is
the problem organizing leadership votes *within* the program? If so, could
we settle on horizontal votes being extended to all OpenStack ATCs? or is
that just too wide open?

> , and I'd like the programs mission statements to be
> precise rather than vague, so that the TC can bless them...

Can you give an example of the kind of vagueness you're worried about?
Perhaps it is just a failure of my imagination, but I can't seem to
conceive of a way a program mission statement would be distinctly more
vague than a project mission statement.