[openstack-dev] XML Support for Nova v3 API

Doug Hellmann doug.hellmann at dreamhost.com
Fri Jun 21 19:49:39 UTC 2013

On Fri, Jun 21, 2013 at 3:46 PM, Vishvananda Ishaya
<vishvananda at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Jun 21, 2013, at 12:38 PM, Doug Hellmann <doug.hellmann at dreamhost.com>
> wrote:
>

> On Thu, Jun 20, 2013 at 2:00 PM, Vishvananda Ishaya <vishvananda at gmail.com
> > wrote:
>

>> On Jun 20, 2013, at 10:22 AM, Brant Knudson <blk at acm.org> wrote:
>>
>> How about a mapping of JSON concepts to XML like:
>>
>> collections:
>>
>> values:
>> <string>text</string>
>> <true/>
>> <false/>
>> <null/>
>> <number>number</number>
>>
>> This type of mapping would remove any ambiguities. Ambiguities and
>> complexity are problems I've seen with the XML-JSON mapping in Keystone.
>> Plus the fact that it's so not-XML would convince users to switch to JSON.
>> With a simple mapping, I don't think it would be necessary to test all the
>> interfaces for both XML and JSON, just test the mapping code.
>>

>> +1 for something like this. JSON primary + autgenerated XML. I think the
>> ideal version would be autogeneration of xml from jsonschema and some
>> method for prettifying the xml representation via jsonschema tags. The
>> jsonschema + tags approach is probably a bit further off (maybe for v4?),
>> so having an auto conversion which is ugly but functional seems better than
>> no XML support at all.
>>
>> Vish
>>

> Let's please not invent something new for this. We're building a high
> level platform. We shouldn't have to screw around with making so many low
> level frameworks to do things for which tools already exist. WSME will
> handle serialization, cleanly, in both XML and JSON already. Let's just use
> that.
>
> Doug
>

> Doug,
>
> Switching to WSME for v3 is out of scope at this point I think. Definitely
> worth considering for v4 though.
>
> Vish

Absolutely - we agreed about that weeks ago. I assumed, however, that
decision meant we would just continue to use the existing serialization
code. I thought this discussion was moving toward writing something new,
and I wanted to head that off.

Doug