[openstack-dev] Efficiently pin running VMs to physical CPUs automatically

Bob Ball bob.ball at citrix.com
Fri Jun 21 17:09:24 UTC 2013

Sorry, my point about numad being libvirt specific was that I couldn't find references to other hypervisors using numad for their placement.  I recognise that it's not _tied_ to libvirt but the reality seems to be that only libvirt uses it.

Xen, for example, can't use numad because dom0 might only know about a subset of the system - it'd make sense for dom0 to only be placed on a single numa node. Xen does of course have its own automatic placement to take account of the numa nodes - I assume this is also true of other hypervisors.

Perhaps my question is a broader one about whether we want Nova to have some influence in the pinning rules, or if we just want to ignore numa placement and let each hypervisor to do it in its own way?

Bob