[openstack-dev] [Heat] autoscaling question

Patrick Petit patrick.petit at bull.net
Fri Jun 21 16:56:04 UTC 2013

Dear All,

I'd like to have some confirmation about the mechanism that is going to
be used to inform Heat's clients about instance create and destroy in an
auto-scaling group. I am referring to the wiki page at
https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Heat/AutoScaling.

I assume, but I may be wrong, that the same eventing mechanism than the
one being used for stack creation will be used...

An instance create in an auto-scaling group will generate an IN_PROGRESS
event for the instance being created followed by CREATE_COMPLETE or
CREATE_FAILED based on the value returned by cfn-signal. Similarly, an
instance destroy will generate a DELETE_IN_PROGRESS event for the
instance being destroyed followed by a DELETE_COMPLETE or DELETE_FAILED
in case the instance can't be destroyed in the group.

Adding a group id in the event details will be helpful to figure out
what group the instance belongs to.

Thanks in advance for the clarification.
Patrick