[openstack-dev] Efficiently pin running VMs to physical CPUs automatically

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Fri Jun 21 09:57:42 UTC 2013

On Thu, Jun 20, 2013 at 12:48:16PM -0400, Russell Bryant wrote:
> On 06/20/2013 10:36 AM, Giorgio Franceschi wrote:
> > Hello, I created a blueprint for the implementation of:
> >
> > A tool for pinning automatically each running virtual CPU to a physical
> > one in the most efficient way, balancing load across sockets/cores and
> > maximizing cache sharing/minimizing cache misses. Ideally able to be run
> > on-demand, as a periodic job, or be triggered by events on the host (vm
> > spawn/destroy).
> >
> > Find it at https://blueprints.launchpad.net/nova/+spec/auto-cpu-pinning
> >
> > Any inputappreciated!
>
> I'm actually surprised to see a new tool for this kind of thing.
>
> Have you seen numad?

The approach used by 'pinhead' tool dscribed in the blueprint seems
to be pretty much equivalent to what 'numad' is already providing
for Libvirt KVM and LXC guests.

NB, numad is actually a standalone program for optimizing NUMA
placement of any processes on a server. Libvirt talks to it when
starting a guest to request info on where best to place the guest.

Daniel