[openstack-dev] Efficiently pin running VMs to physical CPUs automatically

Bob Ball bob.ball at citrix.com
Fri Jun 21 09:10:32 UTC 2013

It seems that numad is libvirt specific - is that the case?

I'm not sure if there is a daemon for other hypervisors but would it make sense to have this functionality in OpenStack so we can extend it to work for each hypervisor allowing it to control the affinity in their own way?  I guess this would need the Pinhead tool to either support multiple hypervisors or provide the pinning strategy to Nova which could then invoke the individual drivers.

Outside numa optimisations I think there are good reasons for Nova to support modifying the affinity / pinning rules - for example I can imagine that some flavours might be permitted dedicated or isolated vCPUs?  Integrating this tool would allow us to provide it further hints/rules defined by the flavour or administrator.

Bob